Welcome to the Year 6 page. Our classes are as follows:
Kites class: Mrs Staines, Miss Howard and Mr McGuinness
Owls class: Mr Ireland and Terri
Small group work: Mr Rees
Year 6 Information
For an overview of our maths learning, click here (see pages 2, 3 & 4)
PE is on Monday and Friday: children will need appropriate kit on these days.
This term our topic is Crime and Punishment.
We will be studying changes in Crime, Punishment and Justice through History, from Roman times to present day. We will also be looking at Heroes and Villains in our English through books such as 'The Boy in the Girls' Bathroom' and 'Oliver Twist'. We will also be studying the main events of Martin Luther King's life as part of the school's History Week (15.10.18).
How can I help my child achieve their best in Year 6?
* Make sure your child comes to school on time and having had plenty of sleep
* Ensure they come to school with a full stomach
* Encourage your child to read for 20 minutes every day, often with an adult
* Find opportunities for your child to use numbers in everyday situations e.g. time intervals / time tables / finding amounts of change from £5 / £10
* Encourage your child to practise their times tables daily so that they can recall them with ease.
Homework and Reading
Children are expected to practice their spellings daily and read at least 3 times weekly. Times tables are also expected to be practised regularly and learned. Additional homework may be set to support learning in class.
Homework or any questions can be emailed to Miss Howard or Mr Ireland at:
Outdoor PE is on Monday and indoor PE is on Friday. Children will need suitable footwear and kit for both sessions. Jewellery must be removed for PE sessions